jps jps is offline

Default Socialized medicine.

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 01:59:03 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 21:26:40 -0700, jps wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:56:14 -0400, Gene
wrote:

I agree, but then, there is that indefinite *YOU* to reckon with.
Since my Dad was long since retired and they were trying to
double-triple-fourple dip with Uncle Sam, I told them he would be in
touch.

Amazing how quickly things can get sorted out and a credit appear.....
AMAZING!

There's a lot of talk about administrative costs and profit but rarely
do we hear how much scamming goes on. Not only double billing but
tons of unnecessary procedures, medicines, treatments, etc.

System needs a top to bottom overhaul.

A lot of that is just the lawyer tax. Doctors will not commit to
anything without a lot of backup tests because if they get it wrong
they get sued.
They might get sued anyway..
The main reason why drugs are slow to be approved and why they are so
expensive here compared to other countries is there are lawyers on TV
every day saying "took this drug?, I can get you some money"

Americans pay for the R&D, most other countries pay fair market value.

You've overlooked the highly specialized nature of medicine these
days. I have recent experience with a close family member being in
the hospital for a couple of weeks. Each set of organs has an
advocate, kidneys, heart and lungs, vascular, etc. Each of those is
broken into those that administer medication and those that cure
through surgery.

Surely the care is better and so are outcomes but the cost of team
medicine is unbelievable.

The procedures themselves are also astoundingly expensive. $7K for a
MRI between session, technician and expert. Maybe a total of an hour
by all invested. That's insane. They're prescribed like candy.

The poor schmuck who walks into a hospital with a problem and no
insurance will end up without money or a house in no time.

It's ****ed up and has to change.