Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Finally used the RF

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:05:32 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Vito wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

Jere Lull wrote:

When in a hurry, I carry the gaskets over my shoulder, drop the sail and
quickly tie up any old way. Might take a minute in adverse conditions,
but the bulk of the sail is tamed within 5-10 seconds of the drop. We
flake the sail properly once things have quieted down.

I do the same. It isn't a problem.

Obviously fair weather sailors.

Silly remark, and incorrect in my case also. As I get older, I try
more to be a fair-weather sailor but it doesn't really work all the
time.

I have been through the reefing routine, but with the sail-shape
control we have I just take down the main when it gets too strong. By
that time the #3 is entirely adequate.

I would LOVE to be a fair weather sailor, but we do entirely too many
marginal days and go too far on those days to dodge the weather bullet
every time. We are away from the dock 70-80 days out of our 6 month
season and I still work M-F. I'm pretty good about choosing destinations
based on the expected weather, but as a optimist, we have to reef down
or haul down a few times each season.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."