posted to rec.boats.building
Rick Morel Rick Morel is offline

Default swing keel stuck

On Fri, 29 May 2009 06:44:36 -0700 (PDT), derry
wrote:

rick this sounds good any idea of what strengt ot hydrochloric acid to
use

I've always used straight Muratic acid. I'm not sure offhand what
concentration it is. Same for the boatyards. As I had mentioned, paint
stores and auto supplies carry it.

I did try using some to remove rust from a tractor engine radiator and
water jacket. It got diluted by the water left in the block and didn't
seem to do nearly as well.

As an aside, it's used, diluted a pint to 3 gallons of water (I think)
to clean the calcium deposits and stuff in a Lectra/San Type I MSD.

I usually put it in a sprayer. One of those quart type garden spayers,
not the kind with a hose.

Everyone that wrote about the fumes is correct. Make sure you've got
very good ventilation.

Let us know how you make out!

Rick