Spamfreedom

Default Volvo MD17C bent pushrods HELP!

BTW, it seems to happen after the engine has sat for awhile
(months) and during cold weather starts....

It sounds like you run the engine infrequently, at low loads and it
never really gets hot ... is this close?

If that is the case, you probably have carbon deposits on the valve
stems and lack of lubrication, particularly when starting cold, can
cause the valve stems to stick and bend the pushrods.

well.....I am in the great lakes.....lake michigan actually.....the boat is
hauled in winter....the last few months have been busy and I was not able to
use the boat much unfortunately.....I did go there and start the engine monthly
and I would let it idle for 10 minutes or so then run at 12-1500 rpm for a half
hour.....and even put under load for a few minutes....I thought I was doing
things right, but now I am not sure....maybe wrong oil?...(Rotella T
10W30)....I did put some "power service diesel treatment" in the fuel when I
filled up on monday (and ran the engine for a good hour)...when i started it
wednesday, blam, the problem was there (missing, spitting out intake,= bent
rods)....I took the vavle cover off #2 and all looked fine, no rust or
such,.....I think I must pull the heads (even though I have a whole 6 inches of
clearance in the engine room above the engins...yippee)

So how do I avoid this?.....during the wisconsin winters, I do go down and hand
crank the engine a few spins to move oil.....and I fogged the engine with oil
and ran the oil/dsl mixture thru fuel system etc.....following the manual....I
do need to pull the injectors off this year for cleaning (I didn;t last
year....bad?).....

funny thing is that I do have 2 spare push rods......my last mechanic said he
canl;t get them for one month.....BUT I (and google) was able to find some and
order extras within one day....they were only $20 a piece, cheap spare IMO....

Hey I really appreciate the feedback so I can discuss it with a mechanic (after
I find one that seems to know what is going on....amazing how easy I can stump
some of them with my limited knowledge after reading calder's book).....thanks
again for the great feedback....