Steve

Default Volvo MD17C bent pushrods HELP!

Good points Rick.

I know the MD series engines have very limited oil lubrication going to the
top end. One of their problems is rusting valve springs. This, according to
Volvo, is due to short run times that doesn't provide enough oil or temp. to
eliminate moisture condensation in the area of the valves, springs and
rocker arms.

I had a valve spring break, due to rust pitting, while in Baja '89, and
found that there had been another boat in the same area that had experienced
the same problem.. My valve dropped into the cylinder and was jammed back
into the valve seat, cracking the passage into the water jacket... Had to
replace one cylinder head.. Also, I was later shown service bulletins
regarding the rust problem in the valve gear area.

The MD17C may suffers from the same rust, condensation problems as the other
MD series engines.

Like Rick says, start it often, run it long enough to get the oil hot and
circulating to all parts (and this should help to eliminate moisture in the
valve area).

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve