EASI54 EASI54 is offline
Junior Member

Default Keel configuration

Lot of interesting keel threads going on, and I thought it would be good time to enter mine.

The boat: 50ft custom built aluminum sloop with modified swing keel. (no data on vessel)
draft: 4 1/2 ft. With swing extended: Approximately 9ft.

The vessel is on the hard and have no data to it's displacement other than a scale ticket during it's move to my back yard, indicates the boat weighs approximately 38,000 lbs.
Anybody have any idea on a ball park approximate on how much the swing blade weighs (keel)?
I also would like to know if it is customary to wrap a lead keel in aluminum to blend in with the hull?
In additon to all of this, I have noticed that the forward portion of the keel indicates that it is hollow (forward section) which was made to streamline it's shape to the hull. Since this is true and appears to have been patched since being built, should I be concerned with holding sea water and will this damage the metal over time?
John

John