posted to rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish Drew Dalgleish is offline

Default Lumpy Gel Coat: Recoverable?

A little heat might work. I've had good luck submerging the can in a
bucket of hot water.

On Mon, 25 May 2009 15:04:54 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Few years back, a surf ski developed cosmetic delams in the gel
coat around the cockpit area.

The builder sent me a half pint of polyester resin pre-mixed with
yellow pigment and, I guess, wax.

Stuff worked.

But now I want to finish a ding repair and, upon opening the can
of gel coat, find that it's gone all lumpy.

If I stir it long enough, some of the lumps smooth out, but I
still can't get it to where it will flow properly upon
application.

Is there any hope for this stuff (thinning agents? extreme
agitation - as in a paint store's mechanical shaker? something
else?)

Or should I try to get some fresh resin/pigment?

If when I do get some fresh stuff, it seems more logical to me to
ask for the pigment, resin, and wax as separate items and then
mix them when needed.

Am I on the right track with the separate ingredients approach?
--
PeteCresswell