Larry Larry is offline

Default (solar and) Wind Gen

"Flying Pig" wrote in news:gvek64$tl$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Skip, on wifi in Big Majors through Staniel Cay Yacht Club

I've been aboard Flying Pig for many days as it passed through
Charleston a while back.

Otherpower.com has the wind genny to match Skip and Lydia's power
hunger....(c;]

http://www.otherpower.com/20page1.html

Noise? What noise??
"It went up with no problems. So far so good. It starts to furl around
2KW output (a heavier tail would help with this). The alternator seems
to stall the blades a bit (which we expected) in higher winds. The best
output I've seen yet is just over 3KW in 'moderate winds' (we've not had
any real winds here yet) and in low winds it seems excellent. In low
winds its producing about twice the power that my 17' machine does. I
attribute that to more swept area, a higher tower, and a better tower
location. In higher winds they do about the same. The blades always turn
pretty slowly and you cannot hear them ever - you can hear the
alternator grumble though -but it's not annoying. I don't think I've
seen over 200 rpm from it yet - though I've yet to check. I'll do a bit
more testing at some point and update this page. Since putting this up
I've moved my power system and unhooked my PV solar. It seems that even
in the calm summer winds this machine is producing all the power we
need, and between the two wind turbines I have surplus."

Hell, with 3KW of power, just trash all the sails and mount it to the
top of the mainmast. Remove the diesel and install an appropriate
traction motor and transmission out of a Prius! She'll do hull speed
all the time, not just when the wind's stiff....EVEN FASTER INTO THE
WIND!

3KW'll even power Lydia's laptop!....(c;]

--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,
is it still wrong, even though no woman hears him?