Rosalie B.

Default New sail material

x-no-archive:yes (Jim Woodward) wrote:

There are thousands of small working sailboats in Eastern Indonesia
(Nusatengara -- Bali, Lombok, Rinca, Komodo, Flores, Solor, Alor) --
they usually sail when the wind is right and often motor on a
putt-putt when it's not. They're taxis, delivery trucks, fishboats,
family cars, etc.

Most of the sails look like they were cut from tablecloths -- large
blue and white squares, for example. I'm not sure we saw anything
that would be recognized as "sailcloth" here.

Since they obviously do the job, perhaps we should start a fad here
for blue and white sails. Would save money....

I think junk rigs are particularly cheap on sails. I don't know why,
but they can apparently work even when in tatters.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
DSK's talk of repairing old sails has inspired me. SO.....Useless
idea #3436

Dye your old sails grey so that when you use duct tape to repair them
you wont get kicked outa yur Yacht club.

I never claimed to have GOOD ideas, just some are less useless than
others and mostly not original either, I just have a poor memory for
where they originally came from. If they were good and original, I'd
patent em an not tell ya till I'd filed.

grandma Rosalie