Parallax

Default Finally used the RF

(Jim Woodward) wrote in message . com...
Lazy jacks are great for large mains -- they were an essential part of
being able to handle Swee****er short handed, but her main is 750 sq
ft.

On a 28' boat, though, I might pass.
1) They interfere with the sail cover. Either the cover has to be cut
around them or you have to pull them down to the gooseneck before
putting on the cover.
2) If you have battens, you have to be very careful hoisting the sail,
else the battens get caught under a lazy jack. Although you routinely
head upwind before hoisting, with lazy jacks you have to do it with
considerably more precision.
3) If you rig them with blocks up the mast, then the portion going up
the mast will slap in the wind. If you rig them deadended on the upper
mast, then the block under the boom will catch the sail.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
I finally managed to get out by myself to try out the new CDI roller
furling on my 28' S2. Why didn't ppl tell me how much easier it would
make sailing? (Oh, many ppl did, but being something of a
luddite....). It was great, furled and unfurled at least 6 times just
cuz it was so easy. With a hank on jib, after I put it away, I would
not get it back out for any reason cuz of the hassle, now, no problem.
Its great. NOW, I want Lazy Jacks.

Larry:

In suspect that such a sail furling system would cost an appreciable
fraction of the value of my 23 yr old boat so probably isnt a good
investment. If I ever buy a newer boat, maybe.