Lloyd Sumpter

Default What I've Learned About Props

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:31:12 +0000, Jim Woodward wrote:

Finally, FYI:
Martec AutoStream 6000 series $3,000
MaxProp 70322, $3,035
(Both three blade, bronze, 22" for 1.375" shaft)
Other sizes may differ. Martec's stainless series are cheaper, but
I'm not sure I'd want a stainless prop.

http://www.martec-props.com/prices-feathering.htm
http://www.pyiinc.com/?section=brows...sku=70322&sn=5

First, I wonder if the popularity of the MaxProp is because it is US made,
whereas the AutostreaM is made in Australia. Check out:
http://www.seahawk.com.au/ (the REAL website for AutostreaM)

Second, why not a SS prop? Most powerboaters regard a SS prop as "top of
the line" (of course they're usually comparing to aluminum...). The SS
prop has no "give" so it can utilize advanced foil designs like cupping
better (again, mainly compared to aluminum, but I'd probably add composite
to this). Also, my SS shaft seems to be less susceptable to electrolysis,
corrosion, and marine growth than my Campbell Sailor bronze.

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering why you wouldn't want a SS prop.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36