jps jps is offline

Default Florida Boating [NOT}

On Wed, 20 May 2009 23:46:08 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:52:41 -0400, John H
wrote:

Are you on your boat, Wayne? If not, and it's a cruise, tell us more.
What line, how do you like it, etc.

We are aboard the cruise ship Island Princess, very nice but not quite
the same as being on our own boat. It would be a *very* long trip to
bring the GB up here from Florida however. We are very pleased with
the trip so far. Princess did a great job with the land portion of
the trip, starting in Fairbanks, AK with a number of excursions taking
us south through and around Denali Park, ending up in Anchorage and
Whittier where we linked up with the cruise ship. Glacier Bay
certainly ranks as one of the high points so far, the other being our
fly over of Mt McKinley in a small plane.

Tomorrow we'll be in Skagway with a river excursion on a jet boat,
Juneau the next day with a helicopter ride to a glacier landing, then
Ketchikan with a float plane excursion inland.

Another highlight of the trip was three days in the San Juan Islands
north of Seattle that we arranged on our own with a little guidance
from Chuck Gould. Chuck tipped us to a great place to stay called the
Roche Harbor Resort which was really first class in every way.

Internet service on the ship is 40 cents per minute so pictures will
have to wait until later.

When I saw the points on your trip map I thought you'd chartered out
of Anacortes. The San Juans have many stopping points as idylic as
Roche but it's certainly one of the bright spots if traveling by car.

If you enjoyed the look and surroundings, I'd recommend chartering out
of Anacortes someday and making a trek of your own. There's many,
more remote destinations that are nourishment for the soul. It's a
unique area. Chuck has visited and written about most if not all so
he's an excellent source.