posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Compass oil.

Richard,
I missed the original post, but be aware that compass fluid is not the same
in all compasses. In point of fact, it's all about specific gravity. It can
be very inexpensive or can run as much as $2,000 a liter depending on the
compass. The fluid used on the Sperry Marine Gyro Compass used on the Alvin
costs $2,000 a liter.
Steve

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:20:20 GMT, Terry K
wrote:

All oils are carbon-hydrogen-oxygen compounds.

What have you been smoking? Mineral oils are hydrocarbons. If you add
oxygen you get alcohols and ethers. The methanol my race car burns is
made from methane by the addition of oxygen.

Casady