posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Boat Stereo / Amp

On Mon, 18 May 2009 09:21:20 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

Thanks greg. My Alternator is 55amp, I believe the will be sufficent as you
mentioned 'peak power' so the amp (kicker 700.5) should be able to charge
while running

Well the switch i'm using is the standar PERKO 1-2-Both-Off switch. So the
4 gauge 12V+ from the amp will go to that instead of the 12V+ on the
battery. Or since the 12v power lead shuts the amp off entirely then maybe
if i wire it straight to the battery it will shut down completely, i just
wanted to make sure that is the case, cause if there is a chance by wiring
it straight to the battery it will still draw power then i can't do it.

You should connect the amp's power cable to the load side of the Perko
battery switch. The only thing connected directly to the boat's
battery + terminal should be the input terminal of the Perko switch
(and possibly a bilge pump).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca