Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Stainless

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 May 2009 09:39:34 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:20:02 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:38:30 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Then go buy a stainless bowl and fill it half full of water.
See how long it takes to develop its first pin hole.
A matter of weeks or less, quite likely.

Which was all I was debating. Not the fact that stainless will
corrode....

I had a stainless bowl develop a pinhole in ordinary use.

Casady

In a matter of weeks?

There is a big difference between 'stainless' steel used for domestic ware
and the type that should be used for boat fittings.
Use a strong magnet and if it attracts the so-called 'stainless' item then
that item has no place on your boat.

Gee. I got an old stainless year tea kettle. Had it about ten years,
or so and it's been on the boat all that time. And, it has had water
in it for a lot of that time as we live on the boat about half the
time.

Still holding up well, hasn't leaked a drop yet. A magnet sticks to it
too...

OK, no problem. I have a kettle on board just like that.
I should have made it clear I was talking about boat fittings