Default Stainless

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message

Some time ago there was a discussion of the stainless properties of
stainless steel:

Stainless steel does well in relatively dry environments with access to
oxygen. Look at your home cutlery, for example.
Then go buy a stainless bowl and fill it half full of water.

See how long it takes to develop its first pin hole.
A matter of weeks or less, quite likely.

No, that is an exaggeration. In fact I have a stainless bucket - said
to have been made in India - that has been on the boat, and in general
use for some ten years. No holes yet.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

If you have a stainless steel bucket, then you are in a position to
do a little experiment then. One you are convinced will be harmless
even.

Half fill the bucket over the side of your boat, and leave it on deck
-
half full, untouched, unstirred. What could be easier? Let us know how
long it takes for the bucket to dry out..... (one way or another! :-)
This is not such a risky proposition for a hot galvanized bucket of
the traditional design though....

I decided to try out the suggestion and filled a stainless steel
mixing bowl (my wife's actually) with tap water, wrapping it with
saran wrap to eliminate stray air currents and prevent evaporation as
much as possible, and placing it in a spare room where it has been
stationary for two weeks.

Today I emptied the water and inspected the bowl. I poured the water
out and carefully (so as not to destroy evidence) wiped the interior
with a paper towel to dry it - the results? None. The dry bowl
evidences no marks, discoloration, nothing to indicate that it ever
had water in it.

Another urban myth destroyed.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

That's a perfect experiment for you Bruce. Why, you could conduct that
experiment for 30 continuous years while you've sat there at the dock.

Wilbur Hubbard