Default Lavac heads vs. others

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:49:17 -0700, yes wrote:

Read the archives of this NG for many accurate comments.

Some points - the Lavac has a small seat and no ass room. The seals
ruin the paint on the seats and they always look dirty - like nobody
even cleans the sea. The Lavac seats freq are wet from flushing -
yuck. The lavac seat lids are prone to cracking from the vacuum
pressure or kneeling on them - cost $$$ and the toilet won't flush
with a cracked lid or bad seals - can't get good enuf vacuum. A friend
with a big French charter boat had 5 onboard - replaced them all with
Groco K's.

More - Raritan PH II heads are poorly designed and regardless of
Peggy's current ralationship - these are crappy toilets. I've owned 4
of them and replaced them with Groco K's. The Groco were recently
factory rebuilt by Groco - like new after 12 years hard use. The PH II
flush lever is horizontal and operating it puts your face directly
above the bowl - nice view. The lever operates a s/s rod up and down
and this rod has a "water lubricated" seal which tends to spray up in
your arm and face. It's sewage water.

Thanks for the first-hand info. Quite the picture you paint, so to
speak. I wonder why this "technology" isn't perfected yet, but then I
guess people figure that to a sailor dopey enough to sail, anything
looks better than a cedar bucket or backing off the pulpit...G

R.