Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default Stuck fuel gauge???

My boat was out of the water for about 6 weeks getting some repairs. Right
before I put it back in the water, I filled up the fuel tank (fuel at the
gas station is cheaper than at the marina). So far, I am sure that I have
burned at least a quarter of a tank but the fuel gauge still says full. I
also noticed that before the ignition is turned on, it rests at the empty
position and as soon as I turn the key, it immediately pops overk to the
full position and stays there.

Is there any way to unstick a stuck fuel gauge? I have found what appears
to be the fuel gauge sending unit on the top of the fuel tank and it looks
simple to remove/replace (three screws and some type of sealing gasket).
The wires seem to be intact.

I have never messed with the fuel gauge before so I'd like to hear some
advice from those with experience before I tear into it.

Thanks

Frank