Jeff Morris

Default Lavac heads vs. others

The Popular seat is the same length and half an inch narrower than the A-S:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...7977-specs.png
The Zenith is a half inch wider. You may be looking at the width of the bowl.

The Zenith Seats and Lids are $99 at Defender; the Popular is $24 each, as I said. For
most cruisers only the seals and the pump kit is needed - this is well under $100. If
you feel the need to carry a seat and lid, that is an extra $48 for the Popular, but $198
for the Zenith. I believe the Zenith cover is rather tough and not likely to break.
The issue with the seat is that some users report discoloration.

Yes, if you want the complete replacement of every part of the top of the line model, it
can be pricey. For most cruisers its not too different from other repair kits.

I'm not making this up- I'm really just giving the real numbers for my Lavac. The seals
and pump kit is under $100, the lid and seat (which I don't carry a spare for) is $48.

"yes" wrote in message
My point was to get some truth and facts into the discussion - instead
of the gloss over that is happening.

In fact, the Zenith seat is slightly smaller than an American standard
toilet seat - see http://www.lavac.com/parts-list.htm
and the Popular model is smaller still.

In fact a Zenith replacement seat costs $108 and a Zenith replacement
lid costs $108 and each seal costs $18 and a pump kit costs $46 - so a
spare parts kit for a toilet is $298 - see URL above.

Now everybody can see that you need not only spare pumps and pump kits
but also spare lids and seal sets when cruising. $300 in spares for
your toilet.

Why not just be factual instead of quoting the most favorable numbers
and glossing over the real facts.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:32:05 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

"Baja-Mo" wrote in message
.. .
Now we're getting some real facts on the table - we need more?

Yes, I've lots of personal experience - with those of others.

it looks doubtful ...

It is true you don't get a "house bowl" sized seat like you can in
real heads or home toilets.

The Lavac Zenith seat is slightly larger than an American Standard seat, the Popular is
slightly smaller. The differences are less than 1/2 inch.

It's also true that after a while the wear from the lid seals wears
off the paint on the seat and it looks unclean.

Hasn't happened to us in 4 years years of use. If it start to show wear maybe I'll

spring
for a new seat - its only $24.

Not only is the lid a replaceable necessary item - so are the lid-seat
and seat-bowl seals and they're big $$$ also.

As I said the seals are a necessary spare. For the Popular, a complete set of seat,

lid,
and both seals is $88. The Zenith lid & seat is more expensive.

Its a myth the the seat and seals are "necessary." The pump will empty the bowl even

it
it can't form a vacuum. The vacuum is needed to draw water in. In a pinch, the head
still functions without a seal. I keep a cup nearby so that if the previous user

didn't
pump enough to draw seawater in, I can add some.

BTW, new Home Depot seats/lids for real toilets are $6.00 and last as
long as home use.

I paid $9.98 last week, but that was for a "Sky Blue" seat. But what's the point?
Obviously part of the process of chosing any piece of gear you have to include the cost

of
all appropriate spares. The seat is one of the key components of the Lavac, $48 for a

lid
and seat is not that outrageous.