Maynard G. Krebbs

Default Push starting your boat

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:10:59 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

snip

BTW. I have often bragged that I could hand crank my MD2B diesel. In fact I
did it regularly on my last boat. I now have the same model engine on my
present boat but last Fri. I had a starter problem and tired to hand crank
this one. I must be getting older (67) and weaker but I couldn't get enough
rpm up with the cold engine oil (30 weight, plus this eng. only has 100
hours on it).

I finally took the starter apart and repaired it(broken brush spring), but
I am looking into some way to release the compression lever while still
keeping both hands on the hand crank.

Or else I need to go the the gym and work on my upper body strength and
cardiovacular stuff.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bunge Cord trying to pull the compression lever closed while a rope
held under your foot holds the compression lever open.
Once it starts running you can slap the other lever/s closed.
Mark E. Williams