Jeff Morris

Default Lavac heads vs. others

"Baja-Mo" wrote in message
Now we're getting some real facts on the table - we need more?

Yes, I've lots of personal experience - with those of others.

it looks doubtful ...

It is true you don't get a "house bowl" sized seat like you can in
real heads or home toilets.

The Lavac Zenith seat is slightly larger than an American Standard seat, the Popular is
slightly smaller. The differences are less than 1/2 inch.

It's also true that after a while the wear from the lid seals wears
off the paint on the seat and it looks unclean.

Hasn't happened to us in 4 years years of use. If it start to show wear maybe I'll spring
for a new seat - its only $24.

Not only is the lid a replaceable necessary item - so are the lid-seat
and seat-bowl seals and they're big $$$ also.

As I said the seals are a necessary spare. For the Popular, a complete set of seat, lid,
and both seals is $88. The Zenith lid & seat is more expensive.

Its a myth the the seat and seals are "necessary." The pump will empty the bowl even it
it can't form a vacuum. The vacuum is needed to draw water in. In a pinch, the head
still functions without a seal. I keep a cup nearby so that if the previous user didn't
pump enough to draw seawater in, I can add some.

BTW, new Home Depot seats/lids for real toilets are $6.00 and last as
long as home use.

I paid $9.98 last week, but that was for a "Sky Blue" seat. But what's the point?
Obviously part of the process of chosing any piece of gear you have to include the cost of
all appropriate spares. The seat is one of the key components of the Lavac, $48 for a lid
and seat is not that outrageous.