Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default 35s5 Heart of Gold Website-UPDATED

"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"jeff" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:
Check out the now NEARLY complete website for a 1990 Beneteau First
35s5...Lots more info, pics and video!

http://heartofgold35s5.synthasite.com/

Hey Bob, I wasn't just trolling when I questioned you on the phrase
"United States Coast Guard inspected vessel." This has a very specific
meaning and since HofG is almost certainly not an "inspected vessel,"
you put yourself at risk by claiming to visitors that it is. There are
numerous safety requirements that are rather difficult for a smaller
boat to meet - many are immediately obvious to any observer, such as
larger lifelines and prominent labeling.

Since you need a Master's License to command an Inspected Vessel, one
might assume you're also claiming to have such a license. Add to this
your requirement that guests bring supplies beyond their personal needs,
which means they are "passengers for hire." Your wording this as a
"requirement" crosses the line of even the more liberal interpretation
of that reg. Considering all of this, you could be in serious trouble
if someone got hurt.

I looked into getting my boat up to "inspected vessel" status. It would
have been quite a hassle, with a lengthy list of things to change. This
was right at the time I got my original OUPV. My mentor basically talked
me out of it.

I went through the same thinking when I got the PDQ. At first the
conversion didn't seem that onerous, but then I happened a take a trip on
a 50' cat that was Inspected and realized how difficult it would be for a
smaller boat to conform. All of those nice safety things on ferry boats,
like prominent labeling, and extra overboard gear, etc are all part of the
regs. Even if it were possible, it wouldn't be pretty!

RB assumes that because he had a "safety inspection" he is entitled to
declare his boat an "Inspected Vessel." Always the Used Car Salesman
mentality.

I won't comment on RB. The onerous stuff for me was the realization of
having to change the lifelines and find a place for the safety gear. I've
got some of the labeling in place, because I think it helps people who
charter feel secure, just like I have some labels on lines.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com