jeannette

Default Push starting your boat

On 20 Oct 2003 12:52:34 -0700, (Giles) wrote:

The hand crank on my 2GM (ca 1983) fits on the end of the crankshaft
pulley using a very simple arrangement of pawls. It's a somewhat
awkward arrangement that requires the removal of the bulkhead to give
room to swing the handle. The bigger problem is that, so far, I
haven't been able to start it by hand. Despite having started
similar-sized Lister diesels many times (albeit, quite a while ago)
the 2GM still defeats me -- as soon as I slip the decompressor over
the engine just stops, no matter how hard and fast I'm cranking.
Perhaps it would work better if there were a second person available
to operate the decompressor.

The answer to this seems to be the portable booster battery already
suggested.

Giles Morris

The trick I have been told is to remove the link between the 2
cylinder. Open both levers. Crank it as fast as you can and get it
going on one by dropping the lever. Once it's going you can drop the
other one. I haven't tried it yet.

Jeannette Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html