Parallax

Default hybrid dinghy

I have a hard shell (Nautilus 8) dinghy that I can sorta carry on my
foredeck and although its a pain, it rows really well. I have
considered an inflatable with motor but they dont row and my fear is
of dropping an expensive engine into the water. They also take a
while for me to inflate with a hand pump and the only time I tried an
electric inflator, it blew my circuit breaker. I have limited power
available (by choice) so maybe the inflatables arent the best choice.
I have seen designs for several "porta-boats" that assemble easily and
he parts can be carried on deck and this might work but have no
floatation. Maybe we need a hybrid hardshell/inflatable dinghy (not
those RIB things, they dont row well and the bottoms scratch too
easily). So........useless idea #3730.

Use flexible fibreglas (like heavy battens) for the upper/outer hull
support (either early alzheimers or two many margaritas and I forget
terminology). These are joined at the bow and curve around to a one
piece transom. There is also a similar keel piece joined at the bow
and at the bottom of the transom. It would have two rigid seats to
provide support and a canvas skin fastened with those canvas twist
fasteners to the frame. Along the edges would be inflatable bladders
to provide floatation. Oar locks on the frame. A very tough piece of
plastic along the outside of the canvas along the keel for dragging it
across rough surfaces. Done right, it could use either oars or a
small motor.

Part of my motivation is that I knowingly abuse equipment and I know
an expensive RIB wouldnt last long with me. I kept dragging my rigid
Nautilus dinghy over oyster bars until I literally wore a hole through
the fibreglas. The canvas (or other suitable material) could be
repaired after abuse and the entire thing could fold up easily.