JohnH

Default I/O OR OUTBOARD - WHAT'S BEST??

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:32:35 GMT, "-v-" wrote:

"Jim Stallings" wrote in message
. com...
Hello All,

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many of you,
but I wanted to get some advice and I'm a novice powerboater (plenty
of sailing experience though!!)

Anyway, I'm in the market for a small runabout boat - perhaps 17 to 19
foot. It's to be used in both fresh and salt water here in the NW USA.
I plan to pull skiers as well as just cruise and maybe fish.

My question is - what are the advantages of an I/O vs outboard, and
vice versa. I've been leaning toward an I/O, mostly from the
standpoint of noise, simplicity, and looks (no unsightly motor in the
way....). What are some other considerations I should be aware of or
take into account.

Thanks VERY much for any help you can provide.

Jim

1) Outboards are much lighter than IO's for a given horsepower.
2) Outboards are simpler than IO's. No U-Joints and bellows seals.
3) Outboards don't require a big hole in the transom.
4) Maintenance is easier on an outboard since the whole engined is out in
the open where it can be reached for service. You will appreciate this the
first time you have to lay on your back and hug an engine block in the bilge
of your boat to reach something that needs fixing.
5) There is less maintenance on an outboard since they are simpler.
6) Outboards were designed from scratch as marine engines and are not
converted car/truck engines thus they are much more durable in a sal****er
environment.
7) Outboards greatly reduce, if not entirely eliminate, the threat of
fire/explosion from gas fumes in the bilge.
8) Outboards can be tilted clear of the water if the boat is kept in the
water. Stern drives can't. This reduces corrosion and marine growth. Keeping
the boat on a boat lift or trailer is better.

I have an I/O now, Mercruiser 5.7L with an Alpha 1 drive. I will go for an
outboard next time.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD