Giles

Default Push starting your boat

I looked carefully before installing the used 2GM and didnt see any
pawls for the hand crank to engage, maybe as a previous poster
suggested thee is one beneath a cover. I had serious trouble hand
starting the 1GM as I just cannot get sufficient hand torque in the
odd position I have to be in on my 28' S2. Its just damned awkward.
I have considered drilling a hole thru the engine compartment bulkhead
and making a crank extension so I can hand crank from the main cabin
but gave up that idea when I installed the 2GM. Is this still
feasible?

The hand crank on my 2GM (ca 1983) fits on the end of the crankshaft
pulley using a very simple arrangement of pawls. It's a somewhat
awkward arrangement that requires the removal of the bulkhead to give
room to swing the handle. The bigger problem is that, so far, I
haven't been able to start it by hand. Despite having started
similar-sized Lister diesels many times (albeit, quite a while ago)
the 2GM still defeats me -- as soon as I slip the decompressor over
the engine just stops, no matter how hard and fast I'm cranking.
Perhaps it would work better if there were a second person available
to operate the decompressor.

The answer to this seems to be the portable booster battery already
suggested.

Giles Morris