MMC MMC is offline

Default Wanted..one small utility trailer

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 May 2009 16:03:19 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message

Got a trailer rental joint anywhere near?

Naw...that's the problem.
U-Haul keeps it's crappy worn out trailers across the harbour and the
utility type are few & far between.
Those larger enclosed models people use for moving would max out my RAV4s
towing limit before I loaded a 2" x 4".
Actually when you add up the yearly license fee ( $40 ) + yearly safety
checks ( $15 ) plus depreciation I could probably rent a pickup two or
three times a year and break even... especially with the $1900. model.

Can you put a rack on the RAV4?
I've hauled outrageous stuff on the top of my cars.
Ropes all over the place, etc.
Bought a cheap removable rack for my Celebrity, but never used it.
Didn't trust it.
I collected a lot of 2x4's that I bought just to provide a base for
4x8 sheet materials on the rooftop.
Use old blankets to protect the roof.
Last thing I brought home was a 40 gallon water heater. Big box.
Use lots of rope and wrap it every which way but loose.
Makes you wish you still had the pickup. but it cost too much to keep
one around for real occasional stuff.
Delivery charges aren't too bad anyway.
I'm not recommending this, but my brother drove over here, about 30
miles, with 24' gutters tied to the top of a Chevy Cavalier.
I thought that was bad, but I told a guy at work to get his gutters
rolled to size and not use joined sections.
That guy had a little Chrysler k-car size thing.
Turns out he was too cheap to have the roller truck come out, so he
tied a 40 foot gutter to the top of the car and drove it home.
Beats me how he made it without getting pulled over.
I'd pay to see that trip.

--Vic

Ha! Funny you should mention this Vic, my Dad was a finish carpenter and
drove a '61 Chevy with racks on the top and used to haul all kinds of stuff
up there!