[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default Happy Fun Headline Game

On May 8, 12:50*pm, wrote:
On May 8, 12:31*pm, John H wrote:

On Fri, 08 May 2009 11:57:38 -0400, Tom Francis - SWSports

wrote:
Simply pay attention to headlines and first lines of news stories
about the economy (or the war, or anything!). It’s educational! Teach
your children how to compare and contrast by studying how first lines
can make economic news seem either positive or negative, for fun
economics, polling and presidential impact!

Here’s one!

Headline: New jobless claims plunge, retail sales improve.
Sub-header: New jobless claims plunge unexpectedly to 610,000, while
retail sales improve in April

New applications for jobless benefits plunged to the lowest level in
14 weeks, a possible sign that the massive wave of layoffs has peaked.
Still, the number of unemployed workers getting benefits climbed to a
new record.

First line: positive.

Now, let’s look at another news story, this time from 2005:

Headline:
There go 800,000 jobs out the door
Subheader:
UCLA: Housing slump to hit building and finance employment, slow the
economy, but no recession seen.

The expected downturn in the housing market could end up costing
800,000 construction and finance jobs, putting a big dent in economic
growth over the next two years, a report from UCLA said.

First line: Really, really negative. Incredibly negative. Terrifying.

Yes, that’s right, President Bush would have killed for a “first line
positive” on economic stories while he was president; unemployment was
4.8% and tax-revenues were at all-time highs. Instead, during his
presidency, we got, “Economists worry about possible downturns,
despite 3 percent growth in this quarter.”

Fair and honest reporting.

How refreshing to see Newspeak done so effciently.

Once this passes, they will only get worse. They won't have to worry
about the public buying their biased papers, Obama and Pelosi will
save their day.

http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...52N67F20090324
--
John H

For a great time, go here first...http://tinyurl.com/d3vxvm-Hide quoted text -

You guys don't want what's best for the country, you want failure
because of who is in office. That's sad. It was sad when Harry felt
that way about Bush, and it's sad when you guys feel that way about
Obama.- Hide quoted text -

Not quite.. We really don't care about "who" and I know you are not
calling us racist.. We are really concerened about "what" is in office
as far as policy. Most of the policy he is running with is against
everything we believe in to our core and we are frustrated because we
have no say at all.

Take Chrysler for instance.. Stock holders get 29 cents on the dollar,
the UAW is getting 49 cents on a dollar, 55% of the stock and along
with the Canadian union 5 out of the 9 board of directors.. Pretty
sweet deal for the Union, who knows nothing about running a
manufacturing company except they want more of the cut.... Obama is
cutting the Vouchers in DC after campaininging on better education.
Stem cells, letting ACORN own the cencus, etc... These are very
serious issues to us and the list goes on and on.. And again, we have
no say at all, we are being told what is good for us and how we are
gonna' take it, talk about it, that's it, no discussion...