Jere Lull

Default Push starting your boat

Ryk wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:19:59 GMT, in message

Jere Lull wrote:

Parallax wrote:

Although I have few elecrical gadgets to use power, I do worry about
having enough juice to run my VHF and running lights and am also
partial to having a small fan. Auto-pilot is also nice on long runs.
So what happens if my batteries accidently get run down?

Changing my mind: Best is two battery banks. Only draw from one at a
time, but always charge both.

Going that way would make me feel I was wasting the untouched bank. I
have two identical deep discharge house batteries (came with the
boat). Running on "All" minimizes the degree of discharge by spreading
it across the batteries, but leaves me open to running down past
engine starting capability.

We have the same setup. They were group 24s, but I went to 31s a couple
of years ago. Start on both (or the good one if I drew down too much),
charge both, draw from 1. Next cycle, we draw from 2. Both batteries are
exercised about the same amount, both need replacement about the same time.

--
Jere Lull