Lloyd Sumpter

Default Electric motor to power a dinghy

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:33:00 +0000, Messing In Boats wrote:

Minnkota sells a bunch of electric trolling motors that would work, but
you have to deal with a battery which may weigh 50# or so, much heavier
than the 4 hp Johnson, (I have one, a 1987 model that weighs 33#. I love
it!) although not quite as awkward to handle. I once read something that
said 15# of thrust is approximately equal to 1 hp, but then a whole
bunch of posters chimed in with the information that thrust and hp were
as different as apples and chipmunks, so.....

I have a Minn Kota Endura 30 on Near Cove (Walker Bay 8) which pushes
it just fine. I just replaced the 22NF (25lb) with a Series 24 (35lb), but
if weight is a problem go with the the 22NF.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36