Gould 0738

Default New (to the West Coast) boat line

I have a few questions for you if you get the chance:

It appears as if there is no mid cabin, if not what is under that huge
cockpit?

A lazarette, and access to the stuffing boxes. Three teak hatches form the
majority of the deck in the cockpit, so access is excellent. This is one of the
areas I always check when first looking at a boat. You can get a quick but
usually accurate first impression of the integrity of materials chosen and the
professionalism (or not) of the build crew. Bruckmann looks pretty good.

Can the "open air" galley be closed up and remain functional? Does that make
it hard to get down the companionway?

The boat in Seattle is laid out with the galley forward and below the
bridgedeck.
Some of it extends under the foredeck.
Many of the windows in the superstructure
are designed to be easily removed or opened almost entirely, and this could be
what the literature means if it refers to an "open air" galley- an opening well
above the galley work level. There is not likely to be much wind blowing
through the galley, even uderway, but I can't say for sure until
I get a chance to take a run in the boat.
Probably in October.

No genset, heat or air?

We have some very deluxe boats in the NW without air conditioning. But most
boats have heat. Because we don't have a pressing need for AC, we typically use
diesel forced air or hydronic heat and our boats don't have the monster gen
sets routinely found on the E coast. With a propane galley stove, a good
battery bank,
an inverter, and a willingness to remember that it's a boat, (not a hotel),
it's not extremely unusual to boat in the NW without a genset of any kind.

Would love to read a review of this for drooling purposes.