SAIL LOCO

Default Catalina 250

The Merit and Olson are fast race boats with a fine history, but lack the
Catalina's cruisable nature. They are also not suitable for safe and relaxed
family sailing, if that's what you're looking for.

Dipwad, not suitable for safe sailing? A Merit 25 has been safely sailed to
Hawaii singlehanded. I wouldn't try that on the Catalina. Check the numbers.
To the original poster I encourage you to look at the 3 boats. None of them
are designed for extended cruising but the Merit and Olson have fine "camping"
interiors every bit as servicable as the slug Catalina so why not buy the
better made and better sailing boat that will provide the most fun. Both the
Merit and Olson are dual purpose boats. The Catalina is a single purpose boat
and it ain't sailing.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport