Glen

Default Wireless LAN on a sailboat

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:53:55 -0500, "Rick & Linda Bernard"
tempted fate with:

I guess I am wondering why you would want a wireless network on board.
Would you have a server down below so that you could walk around with a
notebook and keep your files on the server? Is it so you can walk around
and use you printer? Do you have cable available dockside and want a cable
modem hookup via 802a/b/or g? Perhaps BellTell and DSL are in your future?
Help me to understand.

Good question. It's amazing what we need to take with us when we get
away from it all, eh? Not that I have any room to talk. But here is
one application that I use, even if I did write it myself.

My program is an NMEA repeater display. It can also forward the NMEA
data across the network to any application that can read NMEA off the
network. For instance, my program can read data from NMEA devices
connected to the serial port and display the data on "virtual guages".
It can also pass the data along to OziExplorer so you can have a
moving map display on the same computer. It then can pass the NMEA
data along on the network to another computer, which can display it,
hand it off to Ozi, or even send it out a serial port.

So, you could have one display at the nav station, one in the owner's
cabin, one on the flybridge, one in the head...

On the other hand, Vic could just want to have Doom deathmatches on
board. :-)

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, an NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/