Larry W4CSC

Default Wireless LAN on a sailboat

It wasn't my question, but I'll take a stab at it anyways because I've
seen it work and it's SO cool......

Many yachts have satellite service, including data, on them from a
fixed location, say on the bridge, where you'd plug in a computer and
have broadband internet service via that big domed antenna overlooking
the 04 level pool...(c;

If one unplugs the computer from the satellite link transceiver, and
installs a WiFi 802.11 router into its ethernet port, every computer
on the boat is now connectable in a much more convenient location, say
the seating next to the wetbar on the stern, the owner's private
office off his stateroom, the captain's stateroom office, or the old
radio operator's compartment once used for HF SITOR in the "Old Days"
with WOM.

It also allows the owner to check on his next drug shipment from his
supplier in Venezuela or to check to see if his dealer network has
made their deposits into his numbered bank account on St Kitts/Nevis
on time. It allows him to email his "enforcement unit" to investigate
late payments, late shipments, that missing kilo of coke that never
showed up in Miami, etc.

Isn't that neat?

Larry W4CSC

US Supports Apartheid! Vetoes UN resolution
condemning Apartheid Wall.
http://www.antiwar.com/hacohen/h052103.html
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...917478560.html
Can apartheid at home be far away?....