posted to rec.boats.electronics
Rick Morel Rick Morel is offline

Default Raymarine S1/ST6002 and NMEA

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:37:59 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

But, before I digress...the conclusion there is that the ST600x will
display NMEA data which is presented to it, but it won't translate those
sentences into SeaTalk format. Thus if you have another SeaTalk based
display on the boat, you won't see the data being fed to the ST600x with
the NMEA input. To convert NMEA to SeaTalk, you need a box which
bridges the two.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you say a "Garmin GPS". Are you
talking about a GPS antenna or a chartplotter? For example, I have a
Garmin GPS antenna which connects to my course computer via NMEA and I
also have a NorthStar chartplotter connected via NMEA and a RayMarine
chartplotter connected via SeaTalk. All of these talk to one another
and my ST6001 just fine. However, let's say that I had a wind
instrument connected to my ST6001 via NMEA. The ST6001 would show the
wind data, but my RayMarine C80 wouldn't display the wind data.

-- Geoff

Geoff, I don't know how I could have been clearer. I wrote:

"I have a Garmin GPS connected via NMEA.
The S1 uses the GPS info to go to a waypoint or follow a route, and
displays the info from the GPS - goto a waypoint on the GPS, hit
"Track" on the S1, it beeps and gives a turn direction and course, hit
"Track" again and the S1 steers to the waypoint or follows the route."

A Garmin _GPS_ the S1 uses to go to a waypoint or follow a route.

I don't have any other Raymarine instrument displays, but I have to
believe the S1 does translate NMEA to Seatalk because the Garmin NMEA
is physically connected to the S1 Computer, and the S1
Display/Controller, which is physically connected via Seatalk only,
displays the GPS data. So the NMEA data has to be available on the
Seatalk buss for the display to get it, doesn't it?

Rick