Default Hull speed

On 14 Oct 2003 14:24:02 -0700, (Parallax)
wrote:
Does towing my hard shell dinghy effecively increase my waterline
length thereby increasing my hull speed?

Could you add a lightweight inflatable extension to the waterline of a
boat to increase its waterline length thereby increasing its hull
speed?

If the wave pattern from the dink was out of phase with the wave
pattern of the tow boat then the total wave drag of the tow boat plus
dink system might in some condtions be less than the wave drag of the
tow boat alone... See
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/App...ydro/hydro.htm

In your fist questin the hull speed of the tow boat does not change,
in the second it does. In both cases you will likely have more total
drag most of the time. An inflatable transome extension for power
reaching is a neat idea.

--- Tom