Chuck Bollinger

Default Shore Power

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What you describe is electrically the same as an isolation transformer.
Pull out your wallet and call Charles Industries.

Yeah, but be prepared for Huge, Expensive, and Heavy.

Parallax wrote:

My near death experience a few years ago swimming in the water in a
marina with a bad ground got me thinking about shore power
connections. So....USeLESS IDEA #3722:

I was reading in the IEEE Spectrum magazine last year (a magazine for
electrical engineers) about charging electric vehicles. One method
involves no direct electrical connection to the car but is instead
"Inductively Coupled". Basically, many turns of wire in the power
connector and many turns of wire in the car and the power connector
produces a magnetic field that couples to the one on the car causing
charging. The unit on the charger and the unit on the car are sealed
so there are no exposed connecions at all.
Do the same thing for shore power. I suspect that you could not
really power a lot at a time this way but it would keep a bank of
batteries charged and allow you to run lights and a few low wattage
things. The beauty is that you could drop the shore power end into
the water without causing any problem since it is sealed with no wires
exposed to the water. There would be no ground problems.
Worthwhile?