[email protected] khughes@nospam.net is offline

Default Batteries, again, sorry

Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article ,
says...

Mark Borgerson wrote:
In article ,
says...
Thanks for the explanations. It's been decades since my last biology
course. I'm not familiar with the kda term,

Its kilo-dalton. One dalton is the mass of one Hydrogen atom. When you
start talking about very minute masses - as in tangential flow (TFF) and
diafiltration systems (like RO as an example)- daltons are a common
unit, especially in the biotech world where TFF is commonly used for
protein purification/extraction for example.

Must be more of a biochemical thing. In chemical oceanography, we
generally used either AMUs or micro-moles.

1 Dalton = 1 AMU. Since there are historically a couple different
definitions for AMU (physical and chemical), a Unified Atomic Mass Unit
was identified, and that equals 1 Dalton. Neither is an official SI
unit, but both are recognized by SI. In biochemistry (esp. proteins)
the dalton is the unit that's used, and since UF/DF is really geared to
the biochem industry, that's what they use as well.

What good are units if you can't use them to confuse everyone? :-)

Keith Hughes