Jan[_3_] Jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pirate Rifles

"Joe" skrev i melding
On Apr 18, 12:55 pm, "Sal Monella" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:23:49 -0600, "Sal Monella"
wrote:

Gyro stabilized guns are only good for fixed targets. If the target is
moving there is nothing to gain and in reality the system is even less
accurate.

Not true. A gyro stabilized gun is good for shooting from a platform
that has short period low amplitude vibrations, like a helicopter,
airplane, truck, etc. It will greatly increase accuracy even if the
target is moving.

What you are describing here is high frequency noise. An elastic mount
will
accomplish the same thing, but you are correct.

Especially if the target is moving with a constant

velocity, like a car driving down the road. But even if the target is
bobbing like a boat, as long as the motion is predictable.

That's true, constant angular velocity and constant range.

If the

target is moving unpredictably, then the gyro stabilizer could hurt
accuracy. But in that case, you're not going to be likely to have a
great shot on it anyway even without a gyro stabilizer.

GE developed a targeting systems used in tanks back in the 70's that could
analyze and predict the shaking of the aimer, including the flinch.
Obviously today's systems don't have that problem.

I don't think it would be of much use in this pirate situation though,
because the destroyer doesn't have short period low amplitude
vibrations that need to be damped. But like I said, if they're
training consists mostly of using a gyro, they wouldn't take it off
unless it would actually hurt accuracy. In this case, while it
wouldn't help accuracy much, it wouldn't hurt either. So leave it on.

I still have yet to see someone confirming that they were using gyro
stabilized weapons though. Until that happens, this is all just
speculation.

I believe they used their normal rifles and their skills which are not
stabilized in any way.

I tend to think that too Nellie. Someone said here that he jumped in
again. When he did I bet they just went full auto and did a bonnie and
clyde on the pirates.

Hopefully a sailor caught the action on his cell phone and will post
it on you tube soon.

Since you obviously like to watch snipers in action here is one for you:
http://www.truveo.com/Juba-Sniper-ki.../id/2112993970