Steve Steve is offline

Default Pirate Rifles

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:23:49 -0600, "Sal Monella"
wrote:

Gyro stabilized guns are only good for fixed targets. If the target is
moving there is nothing to gain and in reality the system is even less
accurate.

Not true. A gyro stabilized gun is good for shooting from a platform
that has short period low amplitude vibrations, like a helicopter,
airplane, truck, etc. It will greatly increase accuracy even if the
target is moving. Especially if the target is moving with a constant
velocity, like a car driving down the road. But even if the target is
bobbing like a boat, as long as the motion is predictable. If the
target is moving unpredictably, then the gyro stabilizer could hurt
accuracy. But in that case, you're not going to be likely to have a
great shot on it anyway even without a gyro stabilizer.

I don't think it would be of much use in this pirate situation though,
because the destroyer doesn't have short period low amplitude
vibrations that need to be damped. But like I said, if they're
training consists mostly of using a gyro, they wouldn't take it off
unless it would actually hurt accuracy. In this case, while it
wouldn't help accuracy much, it wouldn't hurt either. So leave it on.

I still have yet to see someone confirming that they were using gyro
stabilized weapons though. Until that happens, this is all just
speculation.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:30:23 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
I heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles
to take out the pirates.

I've never seen such a rifle..anyone know what she was talking about?

It was either the best shots on earth, or we have not heard the whole
story of the Pirate shots.

What is the best Pirate killing rifle?

Joe

I heard the same thing on ABC... interesting.

I'm not going to say I know for sure but the rifles they probably used
were the Mk11. http://www.navyseals.com/mk11-sniper-weapon-system-sws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-25

The other likely choice would be the M14. http://www.navyseals.com/m14
But I'd say it's more like a 95% chance it was the Mk11.

*If* they were "gyro stabilized", the seals probably mounted something
like this: http://www.ken-lab.com/ onto the rifles. Stabilizing just
the scope does you no good because the scope is supposed to be
pointing at whatever the rifle is pointing at. If the scope is
stabilized and the rifle is bobbing around, what's the point?

I really don't know why they would need to stabilize the rifle if
they're perched on the deck of a destroyer shooting at a little
lifeboat that's bobbing around. The slow large motion of the
destroyer isn't going to be damped out by the gyro. For a hand-held
weapon, a gyro would only really be useful for damping out smaller,
faster vibrations. But if they use that gyro stabilizer for other
purposes, like shooting from helicopters, and train with them a lot,
they're not going to take them off just because they don't need them
on the ship. You shoot like you've trained for.

Steve