cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Transferring ownership of Documented Vessel

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:

I can't comment on U.S. practices but over here the usual practice is:

1. a true copy of the bill of sale received by the seller at the time
he bought the boat as evidence of ownership.
2. a bill of sale issued to buyer.
3. a receipt for monies paid by buyer.
4. A certified statement that boat is unencumbered by any debts or
liens.
5. Letter of de-registration issued by the entity who had issued the
boat's registration.

These would be the minimum documentation acceptable and additional
documentation might be required depending on local regulations.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I think you hit it on all but the last.
And that one would be right if the buyer intended to procure a state title.

I appreciate your #1 (above), Bruce. I had not seen that one, nor thought
of it myself. I'll include that in the list. In return, I'll buy you a
beer if you ever show up here.

I'm planning to do all this at the bank rather than the marina (!).
Thats so all statements and copies of the statements can be notarized.

Here is what I've turned up...

My only remaining question is if the C of D transfers ownership or if the
new owner needs to fill out a new application.

A peek on the back of the C of D ought to answer that one.

Research:

Application For Initial Issue, Exchange, Or Replacement Of Certificate Of
Documentation; Redocumentation (CG-1258)
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/forms/cg1258.pdf

Bill of Sale CG-1340
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/forms/cg1340.pdf

Certificate of Documentation is CD-1270 (referenced below)

From the USCG NVDC FAQ:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#24

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SELL MY DOCUMENTED VESSEL?

When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale
(CG-1340) or complete the “Sale or Transfer of Vessel” section on the reverse of
the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270). Documentation forms, fee schedules,
and instructions are available for downloading on this web site. If there is an
outstanding mortgage, the mortgagee ( lender) should complete a Satisfaction of
Mortgage. The vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding
mortgage.

Instructions: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcinstr.asp

REV 10/2007

GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR EXCHANGE or RETURN TO DOCUMENTATION

General forms only. Contact this office for vessel specific issues. Please see
the regulations at 46 CFR Part 67.

A COPY MADE ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN PLAIN PAPER WILL BE REJECTED. THIN THERMO-FAX
PAPER FADES WITH TIME AND IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

CG-1258: Application for Initial Issue, Exchange or Replacement of Certificate
of Documentation; Re-documentation - Completed by new OWNER(s); submit an
original or a copy of form, CG-1258.

CG-1340: Bill of Sale – One original or one copy of the instrument signed by or
on behalf of all persons transferring an interest in the vessel. Signature(s)
of seller(s) must be acknowledged by a notary public. Altered instruments may
be rejected. A copy of the instrument will be returned.
CG-1270: Certificate of Documentation - Interest in vessel may be transferred by
last documented owner(s) on reverse of original or copy of the Certificate of
Documentation. Signature(s) of seller(s) must be acknowledged before a notary
public. Altered documents may be rejected.

Satisfaction of Mortgage or Form CG-4593: Application, Consent and Approval for
Exchange - If the vessel is subject to a mortgage, submit one original or one
copy Satisfaction of Mortgage (completed by mortgagee, NOT vessel owner and
properly acknowledged); OR, one original or one copy of Form CG-4593 signed by
both the owner and mortgagee. A copy of the Satisfaction of Mortgage will be
returned. A copy of the Form, CG-4593 will not be returned.

Chain of Title - Simplified Method:* - For vessels returning to documentation,
ownership may be established from state title OR state or foreign registration.
A copy of the title or registration must be provided WITH the original or copy
of bill(s) of sale from the owner shown on this paperwork to the applicant. For
vessels under a foreign registry similar to U.S. Documentation, a copy of the
registration and evidence of removal from that registry must be provided.

*Simplified method may not be used if seeking a Coastwise endorsement for a
vessel over 200 ITC gross tons. Complete chain of title from the last documented
owner and