Butch Ammon

Default The problem with these off-topic, political threads...

I don't exactly "shoot" deer, as in using a rifle - I don't own a rifle.
But
have a big compound bow with 65 lbs of pull to it, and merely launch an

arrow
at a deer. It's more sporty that way - you have to get REAL CLOSE to a

deer

too.

Yes, that does sound a little more sporting
than blasting a 75-pound Bambi from 200 yards away using a high-powered

rifle
and scope. :-)

Where's the "sport" part? Does Bambi shoot back?

*SIGH*

Look, a deer (or turkey, duck, heck even a pronghorn antelope) have powerful
senses far keener than man. They *know* you are out there and can detect you,
smell you, see you....

A deer rifle could "blast a deer" from 200 yards away - as you and Chuck Gould
said. But with that compound bow of mine, I only have 3 sight pins on it (10
yards, 20 yards, 30 yards). Do you know how CLOSE 30 yards actually is? How
to get a deer to walk within 30 yards is a major challenge, because of their
wariness. Now with turkeys, they are torturous creatures that frustrate even
the most seasoned of hunters. They see in full color like a human, and can see
you and your human outline from probably a 1/4 mile away!

Ducks and geese seem to know that "something doesn't look right here..." and
will flare off just outside of shotgun range. They too have senses and aerial
acrobatics to elude a spray of shotgun shot.

Anyway, let's talk about boating in this thread... I like duckhunting and
boating with friends of mine. They have big Polarcraft duck boats with the big
pop-up blinds on them. They are about 14' jon boats and have about a 25hp
outboard on them. Kinda cool looking...

Butch Ammon