cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Transferring ownership of Documented Vessel

Edgar wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Department of Homeland Security, of all things...

So other than Bill of Sale and fill out the section on the back of CG1270
(Certificate of Documentation) and of course, paying all the fees, what
else????

Make sure all the documents are notarized. If the boat is going into Europe
also get them with apostille as European govts. are very keen on this when
you try to register the boat with them and if a boat comes into Europe
without apostille all the documents will have to be returned to the U.S.
State where they were issued for that to be done..
Don't know if you are buying or selling but if you are buying it is
essential to get documented proof of title and that there are no outstanding
financial issues connected with the boat.

Thanks Edgar, Buying.

Europe? Not in my wildest dreams, unless it goes over as deck cargo on a
freighter. (Hmmm...)

Cuba, maybe, if it does open up. Otherwise just coastal US waters.

The documented proof of ownership would be the CG1270?

Owner would fill out the stuff on the back (like a state title) and send it
back to the Coasties, who would transfer it and send it back to me.
At least that's the way I read it. The current owner has a current certificate,
just renewed a couple of months ago.

But the real question is how to determine if there are any outstanding liens.
(Great minds, Edgar!)

I've been through most of the stuff here...
(National Vessel Documentation Center)
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#08

They can do a fax title search, but don't show anything about liens.
That part has me a bit concerned.

It's not a great lot of money by government standards, but it's a lot by mine.