Bryan Fox

Default Furling Genoa

I didn't have much luck with CDI, in fact I sent it back.

However, that doesn't answer your question.

Over the past 20 years I have had furling on three boats, and wouldn't sail
without it.

On two, the genoas were custom made by Sobstad with a foam luff. The other
was the 150 which came with the boat, modified by a local sailmaker without
foam. Furling gear was Pro Furl and Harken. All did the job well.

When the wind picks up enough to reef in a little, there is no problem with
the shape.

When it gets serious, reef in a lot. It doesn't matter a darn about the sail
shape. If you want to survive, you are much better off with an inefficient
sail than you would be going up front to change sails. These situations
occur so infrequently that you don't have to worry about pulling the sail
out of shape. If it gets too hairy, furl it all in and start the motor.

BUT, go to a reputable sailmaker.

Bryan