Dick Locke

Default Non-stop battery charging

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:43:20 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

You haven't mentioned how you know the charger is running - are you seeing a Voltage or a
current flow? Its possible that you're getting a faulty reading from the Link indicating
a small current flow. You might try putting an Ammeter in series with the battery
connection to verify the flow.

Voltage...on the boat's master voltmeter.

If I turn off the charger when the batteries are fully charged, first
a relay clicks off and amps drop to zero or go slightly negative.
Within 5 minutes, the relay clicks on again and the voltage climbs to
the gel's accept voltage of 14.4. Amps go up to 5-10 also. After a
while, amps drop off to a mild trickle (.1-.4) and the voltage drops
to 13.6. The relay never clicks off. The indicator lights never go on.

I'm going to do a hard reset next time I'm on the boat, since nobody
said "Hey mine does that too."

FTIW, my Heart charger is "on" 24/7 most of the time - I don't recall every turning it
off. Since my fridge is DC I rely on the charger to keep it running, and as longs as it
doesn't over/under charge the batteries I don't see the problem.

My refrig is AC, and there should be no DC running except for an
occasional bilge pump.

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:17:42 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

If it's not using much water, the battery isn't "hot" (warm is
normal), and there's not a lot of gassing going on.....stop worrying
about it and let it get on with its job.....

They are gels, so probably won't outgas. I'll check temp. Somehow,
though, I think a charger that is on without any indicator lights
saying so is going to bite me on the butt sometime.