Dick Locke

Default Non-stop battery charging

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:00:51 -0400, Kelton Joyner
wrote:

Dick,
First thing to do from a safety standpoint is to install an AC circuit
breaker between your shore power input and the inverter.

There is one. It's a 220v boat with a 110 stepdown transformer. The
breaker is before the transformer (I assume, but I better check that.)
The 110 from the transformer goes only to the Heart which distributes
110 to various outlets aound the boat. I can't kil the 110 to the
Heart without killing the shore power to the outlets and I want to
keep it on to run an icemaker/freezer/

Second. Have you checked the "charged voltage" setting on the Link 2000
panel? It should be set to 13.5 V (default value). If it is set higher,
the charger might be sensing that the battery is not completely charged
and try to continuously start the charge cycle.

I don't see how to read or set the "charged voltage." BTW, these are
gels. The charging works fine, goes to the third stage and stays there
while I do minor current draw. It does this whether the charger is
ostensibly on or off, though.

Have you tried setting the Link 2000 to the default settings?

I was considering a hard reset but wanted to check first whether this
situation was normal. I have a question in to Heart but no answer
yet.

Have you disconnected the phone cable from the inverter and tried to
operate it without the Link 2000?

The only control on the inverter/charger is an on and off switch. The
manual has reference to a simpler remote panel with dip switches on
the back, but if there is one of these wired in, it's well hidden. I
believe the Link replaces the standard remote panel.

The Heart manual says:
Dip switch 4: On= Disable, charger responds to on-off switch; Off =
Enable,: Charger on when AC is connected (default). The charger is
acting like Dip switch 4 is on, in the default position. Hmm, I wonder
if there are dip switches on the back of the Link control panel.
Another thing to ceck

Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Dick Locke wrote:
Still finding surprises on a used boat.

It has a Freedom 25 Charger/Inverter, controlled by a Link 2000.

When I turn off the charger using the button on the Link, the charger
only stays off for a few minutes. When the fully charged battery drops
to about 13.6v, the charger switches back on. It's subtle, because the
"charge", "accept" and "float" lights and the "charge" light do not
light. If you're not watching the voltmeter, you won't notice.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? The manuals imply that this is
the default option that can be overridden by DIP switches on a manual
control panel that I think the Link replaced.

The only way I can shut down the charging is to kill the 110 to the
Heart. Unfortunately there is no separate breaker on that line.