posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Mixing *Really* Small Batches Of Resin?

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:35:03 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Most of my glass work is small ding patches.

Mixing up, say, an ounce or less of resin and getting the
resin/catalyst ratio right (especially with epoxy) escapes me....
so I waste a lot of resin.

Anybody got a system?

For polyester, I'd think it would be counting drops of catalyst
into some amount of resin that's easy to pre-measure.... like
maybe a rounded tablespoonful or some standard-sized very small
paper cupful.

For epoxy, the hardener I have doesn't drip so well...

Anybody got a system?

The smaller the batch, the larger the error in the ratio is likely.
That may or may not be a factor in your case.

I used to use a digital kitchen scale to make small batches of West
System epoxy. Then I realized that although it seemed wasteful, a
minimun size batch using the West Pumps wasn't enough waste, cost
wise, to worry about. How much does one pump stroke of resin and one
of hardener cost? Not much!