Truelove39

Default Dinghy registration

From: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm#23

IS THE VESSEL TENDER DOCUMENTED?
Documentation of your vessel does not cover the vessel's tender or dinghy.
These craft fall within the jurisdiction of the motorboat numbering laws of the
state of principal use. Please contact your state agency that handles the
registration or numbering of motorboats for further information

John

In the US, if your boat is USCG documented and the dinghy engine is 10
HP or less, you can put your documentation number plus "-1", ie
123456-1. You can only use the dinghy as a "tender", joy riding is
out. I did that for a couple years with no problems, even doing a bit
of joy riding. This in LA, MS, AL and FL. Last year I state registered
the dinghy becase I started throwing it in the pickup and exploring
some lakes and bayous.

Rick

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:04:55 -0700, "jps" wrote:

I bought a boat from a Canadian owner who used the same vessel ID on his
dink as was assigned to the mother ship. Don't know if it's kosher but
worked for him.

In a trip through the eastern USA to Florida, am I likely to encounter
problems with local police or coat guard because the dinghy is
unregistered, unlicensed, etc.?

Anyone experience problems with the local authorities?

Warning and tips appreciated.

Jimmy

S/V Final Step
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/