Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Engine driven AC generator

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:59:43 -0700 (PDT), "Capt.Bill"
wrote:

There is/was a company that makes a AC generator that runs off your
main engine. But for the life of me I can't find or remember who they
are. Anybody know?

I remember seeing them advertised in boating magazines 20 or 30 years
ago but not since then. The most practical alternative in my opinion
is to drive a sine wave inverter with a high current alternator. This
has a number of advantages starting with extra battery charging
capability, the use of standard/easily repaired/replaced components,
and fewer appendages on the engine. I'm doing this on my trawler to
save generator usage while underway. It is important to size the
alternator very generously since most will not develop rated current
for more than a short period of time. Also important is to use large
cables (at least #2) between the alternator and inverter, and to use
multiple belts to drive the alternator. Single belts will not hold up
very long delivering more than 70 or 80 amps.