Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Anyone have "Local Knowledge" of Bermuda

o Things to do, places to see

This is a big topic. And I tend to prefer things that are free or low
cost.

The first thing to buy is a bus pass - unlimited number of journeys
for all Zones, and are honored on buses and ferries.
For adults
1-day $12.00
2-day $20.00
3-day $28.00
4-day $35.00
7-day $45.00

Depending on where you come in depends on where you get the bus pass.
Buses will not take pax with luggage, so your friends will have to get
a taxi to their hotel from the airport.

St. George - Fodor's has a 2 hour walking tour (not counting going
into buildings) on any day except Sunday (when some things are closed)
might include
1. King's Square with a replica of a pillory and stocks (free -
photo-op)
2. Ordnance Island with the Deliverance, a replica of the vessel that
carried the shipwrecked Sea Venture passengers on to Virginia. (fee)
I've never gone onto the Deliverance.
3. White Horse Tavern
4. Town Hall which has antique cedar furnishings and a collection of
photographs of previous lord mayors. Bermuda Journey, a multimedia
audiovisual presentation about the shipwreck of the Sea Venture [on
which Shakespeare's "Tempest" is based], is shown here several times a
day. (free)
5. Bridge House which was once the home of several governors of
Bermuda.
6. Old State House - the oldest stone building in Bermuda, dating from
1620, and was once the home of the Bermuda Parliament. It's the site
of the ancient Peppercorn Ceremony, in which the Old State House pays
the government a "rent" of one peppercorn annually.
7. Somers Garden -The heart of Sir George Somers, the admiral of the
Sea Venture, is buried here. (free) His body is buried in England.
8. St. George's Historical Society Museum. There is a fee for this
but I really recommend it as it was built by shipwrights and I found
the construction details most interesting.
9. Featherbed Alley Printery. I've never
10. St. Peter's Church The present church was built in 1713, with a
tower added in 1814. You can wander around the church and graveyard
for free.
11. Bermuda National Trust Museum (never managed to get here in time
to take the tour)
12. Carriage Museum (was free in 1995 but I don't know about now)
Some pictures and more information here
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8a3/#TL
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8aa/#TL

There is also a walking tour of Hamilton (which confusingly is not in
Hamilton Parish, but in Pembroke Parish)

The tour includes
*Bank of Bermuda--You can visit the bank Monday to Friday from 9:30am
to 3pm. On the mezzanine is Bermuda's most extensive coin collection.
I haven't been there.
*Par-la-Ville Park--This was once a private garden attached to the
town house of William B. Perot, (Free)
*Bermuda Historical Society Museum--This museum, at 13 Queen St., is
also the Bermuda Library.(free)
* Perot Post Office -William Perot ran this post office from 1818 to
1862. and it is still a regular post office (free)
* Hamilton City Hall, which also includes the National Gallery. The
National Gallery has a small fee - I haven't been inside the City
Hall.
* Victoria Park- free (they have concerts here in the summer)
* St. Theresa's Roman Catholic church (free)
* Bermuda Cathedral also known as the Cathedral of the Most Holy
Trinity (free and a landmark that you can see from all over)
* The Sessions House (Parliament Building) Cabinet Building and
Cenotaph to the war dead (all free)
* Fort Hamilton (which I have never had time to visit.

There is or was also a thing called a Heritage Pass which allows
admission to Bermuda's top eight cultural attractions for one low
price. $25 for adults and $15.00 for children 6-16 years of age."

[Note: some places say the ticket is $35, but we only paid $25 in
November 2004]

The Heritage Passport allows unlimited admission for 7 consecutive
days to the Bermuda Maritime Museum, Bermuda National Gallery , and
Bermuda National Trust Verdmont Historic House Museum open Tues-Sat,
10am-4pm; featuring the Globe Hotel and Tucker House Museum, Bermuda
Underwater Exploration Institute, Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo, and
Fort St. Catherine

Whether this is a good deal for you depends on how many of the more
expensive places you will visit. If you are interested in historic
houses Verdmont, the Globe Hotel and Tucker House can be visited on
another type of pass.

Of these attractions, I think you might be interested in the Maritime
Museum in Kings Wharf - Sandys Parish. This used to be the Royal
Naval Dockyard which was once the largest naval base in the Western
Atlantic. It is quite interesting if you can ignore the dolphin pens
which are an abomination (MHO). It includes
1. Queens Exhibition Hall
2. The Shifting House
3. Bermuda Monetary Authority
4. Shell House
5. Forster Cooper Building
6. The Boatloft & Children's Room
8. The Dainty Exhibit
9. Artifact Conservation Laboratory
10. Jack Davis student residence
11. The Commissioners House
12. High Cave and magazine
The Commissioner's house was built of iron and sent out from England -
inside is a wonderful big dollhouse with the furniture carved out of
Bermuda Cedar. Also wonderful views over the area.

I love the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo) which is in Flatts.
Some people don't think much of it, but I like it. It explains a lot
of the local customs and shows a lot of the local flora and fauna.

The Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute is outside of Hamilton,
and has a big collection of shells among other things. I thought it
was a little overpriced and somewhat disjointed.

FREE attractions include the Botanical Garden which has a free guided
tours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from the Car Park outside
the Visitors Service Centre. On the grounds is historic 'Camden',
the official residence of the Premier.

Gates Fort out past St. George is FREE.

There is a hiking trail that goes the whole length of Bermuda (except
the bridge to the airport) and is free. This is on the old railroad
route - there is a little museum in one of the old stations (which is
about the size of a garage) which is also free, although most of it is
taken up by the antiques and used items that she has for sale. This
is near the BAMZ.
http://www.bermuda-online.org/railway.htm

The smallest drawbridge in the world is out at Sandys Parish and is
also free.

Spittal Pond (South Road, Smith’s Parish) has a 1 pm Friday tour which
is very low cost and quite interesting.

There are caves (which I have not been to), and Fort St. Catherine
(admission fee for both)

I think there are also perfume and glass factories.

If you want to buy stuff, the best place is out at King Wharf in the
Cooperage where they have things that are made on Bermuda. Otherwise
the best buys are thing imported from the British Isles.